Previous E-Mail Print

Application for Residence


Application for Residence

Resident Visa Application

Students arriving Taiwan with visitor visas and intended to stay longer should go to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs to apply for a resident visa after registration at their respective schools. Before registration, students cannot apply for a resident visa, be sure to apply for extension.

To apply for a resident visa, applicants need to provide: a completed resident visa form, valid passport, two photos, a copy of his/her student ID card and NT$2,200 processing fee to the Bureau of Consular Affairs office (5/F, No2-2 Chi-Nan Road, Sec. 1, Taipei, Taiwan). For any questions concerning visa issuance, please call the Bureau of Consular Affairs at ( 886- 2) 2343-2888 .

Please note that visitor enters Taiwan under the visa-exempt program or on a landing visa is not allowed to change his resident status in Taiwan.

Application for Alien Resident Certificate

Students entering Taiwan with resident visas are required to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) and a re-entry permit at the city/county police headquarters within 15 days after their arrival. Students successfully switched their visiting visas to resident visas also have to apply the ARC card and re-entry permit within 15 days after they obtained their resident visas. They may stay in Taiwan as long as their ARC remains valid.

To apply for Alien Resident Certificate (ARC), students have to bring xerox copies of their passport and student identification card, together with NT$1,000 to the city/county police headquarters nearest to their residence in Taiwan for processing.