The Ministry of Education Has Researched and Compiled Supplementary Teaching Materials for All-Out Defense Education for Primary and Junior High Schools According to the Curriculum Guidelines of 12-Year Basic Education of Academic Year 108
According to the All-Out Defense Education Act, the Ministry of Education (MOE) has developed the Implementation Regulations of National Defense Education Courses and Contents in Schools at All Levels. Within these regulations, the primary and junior high school stages will be promoted through Incorporation Teaching Methods and supplementary teaching materials have been compiled by the MOE, and these teaching materials will be imperceptibly applied into the current courses to embed and promote All-Out Defense Education concepts. In accordance with the implementation of the Curriculum Guidelines of 12-Year Basic Education of Academic Year 108, the MOE reviewed and compiled these supplementary teaching materials for All-Out Defense Education in primary and junior high schools. These supplementary teaching materials will be divided into three sections: first and second grades of primary school, third to sixth grades of primary school and seventh to ninth grades of junior high school, including a Teacher’s Manual and a Student’s Book for each of these three sections and consist of a total of 6 volumes.
The features of these supplementary teaching materials are as follow:
- Adding Student's Books to facilitate students to read on their own.
- Incorporating the cognitive development of students, the content of these materials will combine students' own life experiences to be more in line with life literacy.
- The content of these materials will be selected from the most relevant materials of the All-Out Defense Education Curriculum Guidelines and the curriculum of primary and junior high schools in various fields, and the concept of these materials will be more focused on the learning experience of students.
- Every section of the materials contains three units, namely “Our Nation and a Secure Life”, “Machinery and Defense Technology” and “Disaster Relief, Disaster Prevention and Mobilization”. There are two more additional units “Media Literacy” and “Anti-Terrorism”.
- The content of these materials will integrate various drills and concepts of mobilization to strengthen the abilities of team-working and communication.
- The content of these materials will be arranged by multiple subjects to facilitate, deepen and broaden students’ interdisciplinary learning and study.
Each unit in the Teacher's Manual will be arranged as a complete 40-minute lesson, and teachers can apply these lessons within an alternative curriculum and extract some content from the various fields of courses as well as to integrate All-Out Defense Education into their teaching. With the purpose of motivating students to read for themselves as well as to guide students to discover that national defense affairs and life are inseparable, the Student's Book contains a selection of pictures and photos, and presents the materials in lively and diverse ways by using games, stories and comics.
In order to strengthen the skills of both team-working and communication, the content of the materials will work alongside the cognitive development of students and combine with their life experience to be more life literacy-orientated, and the meaning of assorted drills and concepts of mobilization will be incorporated into the materials as well. Furthermore, schools can utilize the way of “Reading Promotion” to inspire students to read the Student's Book, such as including this book into their library and listing it as a “Recommended Book”, including it in the Class Book Box to share and read through all the grades or inviting a Story-Telling Mother in the Morning, who is a reading volunteer, to introduce and promote the Student's Book.
More than 190,000 copies of these supplementary teaching materials were printed and distributed to more than 3,000 public and private primary and junior high schools in the country. The 6 e-books of the supplementary teaching materials are also available online for free download by teachers, students and the public (http://ad.pymhs.tyc.edu.tw/nss/p/elementary). In addition, the MOE will manage the “Seed Teacher Training for All-Out Defense Education Supplementary Teaching Materials in Primary and Junior High Schools” in 22 counties and cities, cultivating about 120 seed teachers to facilitate the application and promotion of these supplementary teaching materials in the future.
The foundation stone of national security is that all people are equipped with the consciousness of national defense. It is expected that primary and junior high school teachers can make full use of these supplementary teaching materials to enhance primary and junior high school students’ national defense knowledge and national consciousness of All-Out-Defense. This new curriculum can be implemented and incorporated into the teaching environment and the goal of “Carrying out national defense education for all, carrying out All-Out National Defense with education” can be attained.