Taiwan’s Secrets of Transparent Fish Exhibition is taking place at Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
The exhibition, with its great number of transparent specimens and the Lab of Fish that displays the processes of creating them, has had overwhelming responses from the visitors. 95% of the transparent fish specimens on display were shipped from Taiwan and the other 5% were prepared by teachers and students at UMT.
During the opening ceremony for the exhibition, Professor Dato' Dr. Nor Aieni binti Haji Mokhtar, the Vice-Chancellor of UMT, said that the university had assigned a team of nine lecturers , 46 teachers and other staff, and 15 students to work together with NMMBA on this project. This gave them an opportunity to learn new skills and exchange views about the making of transparent fish.
Dr. Tsai Ching-Hwa, Political Deputy Minister of Education, said that he hoped that such mutually beneficial bilateral cooperation between Malaysia and Taiwan will continue to grow. He pointed out in his opening remarks that the exhibition is one of two special marine science-related exhibitions from Taiwan selected to tour Southeast Asia. The other exhibition–called “Coral Hospital: the Promise of Healthy Coral Reefs for Future Generations”–was held at Chulalongkorn University in Thailand in mid-September. It also attracted a lot of interest,
He added that education and research collaborations and exchanges with neighboring countries are a key aspect of Taiwan’s “New Southbound Policy”. Its emphasis is on developing people-oriented exchanges, sharing resources, and nurturing mutual prosperity here in the region.
“And educational collaborations such as organizing this exhibition are an important component of this.”
The opening ceremony was also attended by Tan Sri Zakri Abdul Hamid, Malaysia Prime Minister's Science Advisor; Dr. Chen Chii-Shiarng, Director General of NMMBA; Chu To-Ming, Director of the Education Division at the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO); and Diego Bo-Wun Bai, Deputy Assistant Director of the Education Division at TECO.
The organizers took this opportunity to conduct a round table meeting to discuss potential future research collaboration between scientists in Malaysia and Taiwan.
Photo:From left: Dr. Chii-Shiarng Chen, Director General of NMMBA; Tan Sri Zakri Abdul Hamid, Malaysia Prime Minister's Science Advisor, Dr. Tsai Ching-Hwa; Professor Dato' Dr. Nor Aieni binti Haji Mokhtar, the Vice-Chancellor of UMT; and Prof. Dr. Mazlan Bin Abd. Ghaffar, Deputy Vice Chancellor of UMT.