||Can overseas students enter Taiwan at present?
A list of ‘Restriction for Citizens/Non-Citizens Entering Taiwan’ is shown below:
Resources: The Ministry of the Interior National Immigration Agency, (https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5385/7445/211420/211422/216338/)
||Is home quarantine needed after entering Taiwan?
||Yes, home quarantine for 14 days is mandatory for individuals who enter Taiwan.
Do schools provide quarantine dormitories?
Yes, schools will arrange quarantine dormitories or hotels.
In addition, the fees for student quarantine dormitories or hotels and meals shall be handled by the school in accordance with the ‘Regulations Governing Fees Charged to Students by Colleges and Universities’. The school shall clearly explain the relevant charging standards to the students in advance.
Is there compensation for quarantine hotel fees?
In order to encourage people to cooperate with epidemic prevention, during the period of isolation or quarantine, personal freedom is equally restricted for both nationals and foreigners. In principle, epidemic prevention compensation (quarantine hotel accommodation charge) is also applicable to non-nationals (foreigners), but they still must comply with the relevant regulations.
For the relevant regulations please refer to the Regulations Governing Disease Prevention Compensation During Severe Pneumonia with Novel Pathogens Isolation and Quarantine Periods announced by the Ministry of Health and Welfare.
||How should I cooperate with home quarantine after receiving the ‘Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Health Declaration and Home Quarantine Notice’?
- Please stay at home (or place of accommodation) and do not go outside or go abroad.
- If you are conducting home quarantine, please live separately. If there are people living with you, they must also take appropriate protective measures, such as wearing medical masks, keeping good hygiene habits, and maintaining an appropriate distance of more than 1.5 meters.
- During home quarantine, body temperature and health status are recorded independently and in detail, and relevant personnel will also actively contact and care for the health of students every day.
- Please keep your hands clean and maintain the habit of washing hands frequently. In principle, hand sanitization can be done by using soap, water, or alcohol-based hand sanitizers. In addition, please refrain from touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands. When your hands are soiled with respiratory droplets, please wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly.
- If you have symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing or other discomforts, please put on a medical mask, and contact the local health authorities or call the ‘Communicable Disease Reporting and Consultation Hotline 1922’ to obtain instructions on seeking medical attention. Do not take public transportation when you go to the hospital.
||How is the management of dormitory epidemic prevention in colleges and universities carried out? How do dormitory students maintain social distancing? Should they wear masks?
According to the ‘College and University Dormitory Epidemic Prevention Guidelines’ announced by the Ministry of Education, the schools’ dormitory management measures are as follows:
- The dormitory should have measures such as entry and exit access controls, body temperature measurement, specific personnel to care for students, health education promotion, preventative materials, sterilization and sanitization on a regular basis.
- Dormitory students should keep their hands clean and pay attention to respiratory tract hygiene and cough etiquette.
- Dormitory students should keep to the regulated distance of 1.5 meters indoors according to the ‘Notice for Social Distancing’ announced by the Central Epidemic Command Center. In addition, dormitories should maintain appropriate air ventilation, conduct entry and exit registration control measures and dormitory students should immediately wear masks when in close contact and talking.
||What should overseas students do if they are undergoing home quarantine and need medical attention?
||If people undergoing home quarantine need medical attention, they need to call the ‘Communicable Disease Reporting and Consultation Hotline 1922’ to notify the local government health units about handling the situation. Meanwhile, please notify the relevant personnel, such as the local village chief or village clerk, so they can understand the situation and track medical records.
||How do schools maintain social distancing? Should people wear masks?
- General Regulations:
- Social distancing should be 1.5 meters for indoors, and 1 meter for outdoors. However, if both parties wear masks correctly, social distancing will not be mandatory.
- Personnel who contact unspecified people must wear masks all the time.
- Campus Specific Regulations:
- If specific personnel attend class (for example, from preschools to senior high schools), please pay attention to the appropriate air ventilation and maintain social distancing as much as possible, thus wearing masks will not be mandatory.
- If there is enough space, seats must be separated in the form of a crisscross seating pattern to maintain social distancing, or partitions and screens should be installed to separate the seats. If masks are worn correctly, social distancing will not be mandatory.
- Personnel with a fever or upper respiratory infectious symptoms should stay at home.
- When dining, please maintain sufficient social distancing, or separate the seats with partitions or screens. If social distancing cannot be maintained, please divide dining time and separate people to maintain sufficient social distancing.
- The Central Epidemic Command Center has promoted the ‘New Life Campaign for Epidemic Prevention’ and has regulated the principles for wearing masks and maintaining social distancing according to different situations and environments, which schools are requested to follow.
||Can overseas students buy masks in Taiwan? What should overseas students do if they cannot purchase masks in Taiwan?
- The MOE has requested schools to remind overseas students who are eligible to purchase masks, to do so as soon as possible in accordance with regulations announced by the Ministry of Health and Welfare. This includes those who are registered in the National Health Insurance plan, those with valid Alien Resident Certificates (ARC) (180 days of continuous residence in Taiwan), and those with Exit & Entry Permits for Taiwan (from Hong Kong, Macau and China).
- According to the Real-name Mask Distribution System announced by the Minister of Health and Welfare, overseas students who hold Visitor Visas (short-term visas with a duration of stay in Taiwan within 180 days) and those with visa-exempt entry (with a duration of stay in Taiwan within 90 days) will not be able to purchase masks in Taiwan via the aforementioned system.
- Starting from April 2020, the mask quota for the aforementioned overseas students who cannot purchase masks will be distributed to schools by the Ministry of Education. For the purpose of fairness, each school will provide the means of purchasing masks for the aforementioned overseas students according to the same means of purchasing masks for nationals, and will establish a list for management to prevent repeat purchases.
||How do public sports facilities and private sports venues maintain social distancing and should people wear masks?
Notices are as follows:
- Set up a single entrance and exit to control the number of people entering and take body temperature measurements. Venues should provide ample handwashing facilities, maintain social distancing of more than 1.5 meters indoors, and maintain appropriate air ventilation in the venue. In addition, a safe distance marking of above 1.5 meters shall be set for group courses. Treadmill and related equipment shall be used at intervals. Sterilization and sanitization should be conducted in the venue every 2 hours, and the sterilization and sanitization frequency should be increased for a large number of people.
- Venue personnel (including venue coaches) should wear masks while conducting their work.
- Venue operators should conduct body temperature measurement, symptom assessment and real-name registration before customers enter the venue. After entering the venue, please stay at the safe distance marking position, use equipment and facilities that have been set more than 1.5 meters apart, and maintain social distancing of more than 1.5 meters indoors. Accompanying personnel shall also abide by relevant regulations and wear masks throughout the time spent at the venue.
What is the content of the ‘ Study Measures for Colleges and Universities in Response to the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)’
- To avoid the situation of students being unable to return to school due to the impact of the epidemic, thereby affecting the rights and interests of students, the Ministry of Education will take a lenient approach when approving flexible degree program arrangements. The Ministry of Education will instruct schools to utilize flexible courses, credit waivers and other methods to fully assist students to complete their studies before the end of this semester. Related expenses incurred will be subsidized by the Ministry of Education depending on schools’ implementation status.
- All colleges and universities should revise various flexible degree program arrangements, provide contact persons, and assist schools’ students immediately.