Ministry of Education Objectives for 2020 (January–December)
- Extend provision of affordable educare services, continue to increase the availability of public preschools, and strengthen quasi-public mechanisms; provide childcare payments for parents of children between two and four years old to reduce the burden of child-raising; promote the uniform provision of high-quality education by senior secondary schools in Taiwan’s different regions; encourage students to attend a school close to their home, and progressively implement the 12-Year Basic Education program which incorporates the development of adaptive learning, and completely non-exam-based admission to secondary schools.
- Optimize the practical training environments provided by technical and vocational education institutions, train and educate the highly-skilled professionals and technicians required for overall development of the business and industry sector; promote the diverse and flexible development of higher education, and devote more resources to training and educating, and to attracting and retaining people with international-level skills and expertise, to thereby mitigate any brain drain; boost bringing industry, education, and research together to narrow the gap between students’academic knowledge and their practical skills, and enhance and diversify universities’ R&D capacity; and promote universities's meeting their social responsibilities in practical ways, and strengthening their links with their local communities.
- Take steps to prevent bullying on campuses and prevent drugs from entering campuses, and institute campus food safety management; allocate educational resources properly in order to protect the educational rights of students in rural areas, students whose families are socio-economically disadvantaged, students with disabilities, and other vulnerable students; respect ethnic diversity, and encourage different ethnic groups to maintain their own languages and cultures; promote and develop indigenous education which has indigenous people as its principle focus; and boost the provision of education for the children of new residents.
- Set up support systems to assist teachers undertake professional development, and train outstanding qualified teachers who make student-learning their key focus; promote art and aesthetic education, and enhance students' appreciation of art and aesthetic literacy; create a lifelong learning society, improve access to education for the elderly and promote the stable development of community colleges; strengthen the educational function of families, and improve the quality of services provided by social education institutions.
- Create friendly and safe sports environments, and encourage people to develop regular exercise routines; help sports-related organizations to operate soundly and effectively, and support private sector development of Taiwan’s sports and leisure industry; improve Taiwan’s competitiveness in international sporting events by actively participating in different aspects of international sports, and focusing on the comprehensive training of top athletes.
- Thoroughly implement the New Southbound Policy in the area of education, expand international-cooperation platforms, and promote Taiwan’s further engagement with the world; promote a blueprint for the development of bilingual nation policies to train and educate outstanding bilingual people to take Taiwan to the world, and enhance our national competitiveness; empower young people by expanding the scope of their participation in public and community affairs; and encourage young people to engage in international interactions, and travel widely and learn, to broaden their international horizons.