Press Enter to Center block

International Students FAQs



  • What are the eligibility criteria for international student?

Those who meet the criteria of Article 2 or the Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan are permitted to apply for admission to an educational institution in Taiwan.

  • How do international students apply for admission to schools at each level, and to colleges, and universities?

An international student applying for admission to an elementary school, a junior high school, or a senior secondary school, or a five-year program at a junior college must directly apply to the school or junior college and submit the required documents during its designated admission period. If an applicant passes the review or screening process, the school or junior college will issue an admission notice. This applies to international students currently living abroad and to those who have resident status in Taiwan.

An international student who wants to attend a university or tertiary college in Taiwan must apply directly to the university or college during its designated application period and submit the required documents. Applicants who pass the review or screening process will be issued an admission notice.

  • What scholarships are available for international students?

The Ministry of Education Taiwan Scholarship Program provides scholarships for outstanding international students to undertake degree studies in Taiwan. The scholarships cover tuition and miscellaneous expenses of up to NTD 40,000 each semester and a monthly living allowance of NTD 15,000 or NTD 20,000. A Taiwan Scholarship may be held for 4 years for an undergraduate program, 2 years for a master’s degree program, and 4 years for a doctorate program. Applications for a Taiwan Scholarship must be submitted to a Republic of China (ROC) overseas mission, and applicants must apply separately to a university or college in Taiwan for admission. For more details, please see Taiwan Scholarship Program.

Individual educational institutions also provide a range of scholarships. International students should consult directly with the educational institution they are attending for information about any scholarships available and how to apply for them.

  • What are the regulations governing work permits for international students to do part-time work?

The Employment Services Act states that international students are not permitted to undertake part-time work for more than 20 hours each week, except during the summer and winter breaks. International students who wish to do any part-time work must first apply to the Workforce Development Agency of the Ministry of Labor for a work permit and they must avoid working in any workplace that raises safety concerns, or is in any way inappropriate. We strongly advise international students to seriously concentrate on their studies rather than working.

  • Does the government encourage international students to stay in Taiwan to undertake an internship or work after they graduate?

Internships: The government encourages international students and overseas Chinese students to stay in Taiwan and undertake an internship after they graduate from a university or tertiary college if they meet the following criteria: they have graduated with a bachelor’s degree with an overall average score of at least 70, or with a master’s degree, or higher degree; or they have received an award in a skills competition or technology exhibition. Applications are lodged through their university or college. The maximum internship period is for one year, starting from their graduation.

Work in Taiwan after graduating: Outstanding international students who are interested in staying in Taiwan to work may submit an application to the Labor Development Agency of the Ministry of Labor through their intended employer after they graduate. A points-based quota system is used for reviewing applications. It takes into account eight criteria: 1. the applicant’s academic record and credentials, 2. the salary they would receive, 3. their work experience, 4. their qualifications for the work position, 5. Chinese language proficiency, 6. foreign language proficiency, 7. background in a foreign country, and 8. how their application aligns with government policies.