Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES)
To encourage international students to study Huayu (Mandarin Chinese) in the Republic of China (Taiwan), the Ministry of Education (MOE) has established the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES). HES scholarship may be used to take a 2-month summer courses or a 3-month, 6-month, 9-month, a year- long courses. They provide a monthly stipend of 25,000 NTD.
Applicants must be aged at least 18, have a secondary school graduation diploma, or higher level diploma or degree, have an excellent academic record, and be of good character. These scholarships are not available to a person in any of the following categories:
1. A Republic of China(ROC) national or an overseas Chinese student.
2. A currently registered student at a Chinese Language Center in Taiwan or who has ever been enrolled in a degree program at a university or college in Taiwan.
3. A former HES or Taiwan Scholarship recipient.
4. Anyone who will be an exchange student in Taiwan during the scholarship period.
5. A person currently receiving any scholarship or subsidy from any Taiwan Government agency or any educational institution in Taiwan.
- How to Apply
Applicants must submit an application to their local ROC overseas mission before its announced deadline. The application period is generally from February 1 to March 31 each year but the application period at particular R.O.C. overseas missions may vary.
Applicants for a HES must also apply separately for admission to a Chinese language center affiliated with a university in Taiwan.
- HES Process
- MOE HES International Student Directions
- Contact Information
For application, please find your local ROC overseas mission here:
Or find your nearest MOE Overseas Education Division here: